Five persons have been arrested in connection with the murder of Siwan journalist Rajdev Ranjan, police said on Wednesday. Bihar Police ADGP Sunil Kumar said the five men were engaged by contract killer Laddan Mian, known to be close to former RJD MP Mohammad Shahabuddin.
But the police were yet to find evidence directly linking Shahabuddin with the murder.
Kumar told reporters that they have arrested Rohit Kumar, Vijay Kumar, Rajesh Kumar, Vishu Kumar and Sonu Kumar Gupta, all in their 20s. The 7.65 mm bore countrymade pistol used in the crime has been recovered from Sonu’s house, he said, adding that police have also seized three motorcycles used by the accused. All the accused are from Siwan and have no criminal antecedents, he said.
- CBI names Mohammad Shahabuddin as accused in Siwan journalist murder
- Journalist murder suspect Mohammed Kaif seen with Lalu’s son Tej Pratap Yadav
- Fear will return to Siwan after Shahabuddin’s release, says slain journalist Rajdev Ranjan’s widow
- Slain journalist’s wife questions delay in CBI probe, meets Rajnath Singh
- Siwan journalist murder: Prime accused surrenders in court, says being framed
- Bihar journalist murder: Police say looking into Shahabuddin role
“Rohit has confessed and said he shot dead the journalist on the instruction of Laddan Mian, who has been evading arrest,” the officer said.
The ADGP said Ranjan, who worked with Hindi daily Hindustan, was shot from point blank range. Rohit was riding pillion behind Vishu, he said. Vijay and Rajesh, he said, had been following Ranjan for 13 days.
Contract killer Laddan Mian, who had been released from jail 15 days before Ranjan’s murder, left Siwan with his family two hours after the crime, said Kumar.